Za Zemiata is an environmental non-governmental organisation determined to work for sustainable lifestyles, and for responsible personal and political decisions for our planet, while combating the exploitation of people and nature. The name means 'For the Earth' in English.
Based in Sofia, it works in cooperation with citizen groups throughout Bulgaria as well as with civil society organisations all over Europe, depending on the location and scope of the environmental conflict.
It has a substantial volunteer base of over 800 supporters who participate in field projects, help with information campaigns, mobilise for direct action and give a hand with office work.
Za Zemiata is running campaigns and projects on the following topics:
- Climate change, including work on the National Climatic Strategy and involvement in the international climate debate at EU level.
- Environmental education at national level in secondary schools on the topics of climate change, energy efficiency, food sovereignty, waste minimisation, and ecological construction materials and techniques.
- Food independence, with focus on sustainable food production, organic agriculture and the establishment of food cooperatives. As part of its food independence work, it is active in an anti-GMO campaign at the national level.
- Aid for trade in the context of food production and distribution. This campaign deals with harmful subsidies, international trade agreements and the globalisation of supermarkets and their negative impact on local development.
- Resource and energy efficiency at national and EU level. It seeks to direct EU public finance at energy and resource efficient projects, to pave the way for more community-led projects on energy efficiency, and to influence national energy policies towards environmentally responsible thinking and decision-making.
- Clean energy campaign, promoting the use and growth of renewable energy sources and technologies while campaigning against power production from coal, oil, gas and nuclear fuels.
- Responsible extractive industries and local development focusing on gold mining conflicts in Bulgaria and the Balkans, but also dealing with environmental problems associated with the closure of uranium mining in Bulgaria.
- Zero waste is a campaign combining community behaviour, reuse, repair, recycling, disposal and composting with industrial practices such as eliminating toxins and encouraging changes in packaging design in order to establish a sustainable, long-term waste management policy.
Za Zemiata's work is funded almost entirely by fundraising through grant applications to national and international, private and public foundations, EU funds and donations from supporters.